Silly season has begun in the world of golf. While Turkey and Syria lob bombs at each other, eight of the top golfers in the world will lob golf balls on the Antalya Golf Club this week. Antalya, Turkey is approximately 250 miles west along the Mediterranean Coast from the Turkey/Syria border area that has been the site of some recent, rather unpleasant, problems between the two countries.
Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan, Lee Westwood, Webb Simpson, Charl Schwartzel and Justin Rose will play the Pasha Course at Antalya Resort and split a $5.2 million purse. Last place pays $300,000.
Turkish World Airlines is trying to draw attention to the vacation possibilities of the resorts and mild climates in that part of the world. So much so that they have been willing to put up the big purse to hopefully find more passengers for their airplanes.
The Turkish World Golf Finals is not sanctioned by any world golf tour. The PGA and the European Tours had to grant these stars releases to play in this event. That brings up some interesting dilemmas for these tours.
The Frys.com Open is scheduled to be played this week in northern California. Fryshas made a huge commitment to the PGA Tour and promises to do even more in the future.
Last year the Frys.com was blessed with “El Tigre” himself. It received a huge boost to the ratings and ticket sales for that event. This year they find themselves competing for newsprint and air time against a big money exhibition from Turkey.
- 4 Reasons Rory McIlroy Should Be the Face of Golf – Bleacher Report
- PGA Money List 2012: Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods sit atop leaderboard – SB Nation
- Tiger Woods Apologizes To Ryder Cup Rookies For Performance In Loss … – Huffington Post
- Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy swear there’s no intimidation. Honest. – Washington Post (blog)
- Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy in reach of FedEx Cup – San Jose Mercury News